Jessica Hembree is running for re-election to the Shawnee Mission School Board, District Member 3, which represents the South high school area. Jessica will continue to support the Shawnee Mission School District’s track record of excellence.
Jessica is incredibly proud of the progress happening in Shawnee Mission School District. Even amidst a global pandemic, SMSD was able to focus on students, invest in educators, and build for the future of our community.
Jessica’s priorities in running include:
- Putting students first
- Attracting and Retaining Excellent Educators
- Ensuring safe learning environments
Hembree was originally elected to the Shawnee Mission School District Board of Education in November 2019, being sworn into a four-year term in January 2020. She will appear on the November 2023 ballot.
Hembree’s time on the SMSD Board of Education has included:
- Ensuring school social workers in every building
- Expanding student access to real world learning
- Increasing plan time for middle and high school teachers
- Passing a $264 million bond for new facilities
- Selecting Dr. Michelle Hubbard as Superintendet
- Navigating the COVID-19 pandemic
- Eliminating derogatory mascots
Hembree owns a small business that provides strategy, learning and evaluation services to advocacy nonprofit organizations. Hembree is a fifth generation Kansan and settled in Overland Park fifteen years ago. She is married to her high school sweetheart and has three sons, ages 13, 10, and 6, all of whom attend Shawnee Mission Schools.